[Rasch] Why Rasch?

Stephanou, Andrew Stephanou at acer.edu.au
Wed Nov 9 11:22:16 EST 2011

Anthony,

I am not familiar with Wolf & Smith (2007) and Messick's validation framework.  Someone else may answer your question.

For what concerns "the ability to report results on qualitatively described scales or the identification of levels of the variable" you may have a look at these two references:

  Barnard, M. E., Stephanou, A., Urbach, D. (2007). ASG Report on Student Social and Emotional Health A research project conducted by ACER. Australian Scholarship Group, Melbourne, Australia.  Available on line at: http://www.asg.com.au/socialemotional (http://www.asg.com.au/Assets/Files/ASG_Student_Social_Emotional_Health_Report_Full.pdf)
  Stephanou, A. (2000). Using the Rasch Model to Study Large Scale Physics Examinations in Australia.  In M. Wilson and G. Engelhard, G. jr (Eds.), Objective Measurement-theory into practice -Volume 5, (Chapter 4, pp 65-94).  Stamford, CO: Ablex Publishing Corp.

William Fisher's recent observations on the MBC list are also useful.