[Rasch] Use of e in the Rasch model

Adams, Ray adams at acer.edu.au
Tue Sep 6 08:48:08 EST 2011

The SLM can be written in many alternative but equivalent forms

Eg  Pr(success)=A/(A+B)

Where A is ability and B difficulty

Or

Pr(success)=ab/(1+ab)

Where a is ability and b easiness

Or

Pr(success)=exp(theta-delta)/(1+exp(theta-delta))

Or in the above replace the "exp" by another base.

The use of exp  (ie e) prevails because it is more convenient to use
with a range of statistical machinery in estimation and inference.

Ray