[Rasch] On Best Practices for Rasch Scoring

Juanito Talili talilij at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 20:41:21 EST 2011

Recently I wrote:
We are using Rasch model to develop our test questionnaire.  The end goal of our tests is to compute scores.  Assuming that after Rasch analysis using n=400 students, I arrived a math test questionnaire consisted of 50 items.  I will now administer the questionaire to another students (say 200) and then compute the scores for each of the students.
Two scenarios:
 Scenario 1: Using n=400, I will save the person measures and item measures, then use such values to compute the scores of the 200 students.
Scenario 2:  I will not use any values from the previous analysis.  Instead, I will just use the data obtained from the 200 students then run directly the winsteps.
 Question:  Which scenario is the best practice in using Rasch Analysis?

A third scenario was emailed offlist by somebody, which he think it is the best scenario:  He wrote and I quoute:
"The best scenario is the following, I think: Calibration using N=600 (sample A + sample B). This procedure will improve the estimation (good information is always better that less)."

Follow-up question:  I think the third scenario says that I have to combined all my data, then pick-up the scores for Sample B.  Is the third scenario methodologically sound?  Can someone suggest for references regarding the third scenario?  My boss always ask for references when I present new things.

Thank you.
Juanito

Te best scenario is the following, I think:

Calibration using N=600 (sample A + sample B). This procedure will improve the estimation (good information is always better that less).

Gerardo