[Rasch] The Rasch Rating Model and the Disordered Threshold Controversy

Mike Linacre rmt at rasch.org
Sat Jul 7 16:28:48 EST 2012

Jeremy and Folks:

Let's cut the Gordian knot ....

Disordered thresholds signify disordered modal probabilities for the
categories, not substantively disordered categories nor disordered raw
scores nor disordered ability, difficulty, leniency, ..., measures.

Please see my note at http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt131a.htm (do try that
experiment yourself), and also David Andrich's note at
http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt251c.htm (do try that experiment for yourself).

This is proved mathematically in the cited paper (in the current issue of
Educational and Psychological Measurement) .
http://epm.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/72/4/547

Cordially,

Mike L.

At 7/7/2012, Jeremy Hobart wrote:
>Is it really controversial that a higher "score" on a rating scale ought
>to mean more of the problem being measured than a lower score? If so 4cm
>is actually shorter than 3cm.
>
>Please can you circulate the full reference as well as the naked abstract,
>(I didnt get the full ref). Can the authors please make the PDF available
>so that we can make a judgement?
>
>Also, I'm sure David Andrich has some comments to make. It would be be
>good to see those.

Mike Linacre
rmt at rasch.org www.rasch.org/rmt/ Latest RMT: 25:4 Spring 2012