[Rasch] FW: c-parameter

Adams, Ray Ray.Adams at acer.edu.au
Mon Jun 4 16:16:01 EST 2012

I've always thought it unhelpful to speak of "the" discrimination of an item.   The discriminating power of an item (even under the Rasch model) is a function of ability.  ie  item has discrimination x and ability level y.   It is best to think about the item discrimination in terms of the information function which is the derivative of the expected score curve with respect to ability.

SLM items have information functions that are equivalent in shape and they peak at a value of 0.25, when ability equals the item difficulty.  No items are highly discriminating when they are not well targeted.

For PCM items the information functions are not of equivalent shape, so as Margaret implies the idea of "equal" discrimination doesn't have a lot of use with PCM items. The property that PCM items satisfy is that the area under the item information function is equal to one less than the number of categories in the item. So the area under the area under the information functions for dichotomous items equals 1.  Under the Rasch model all items with k categories have an equal amount of total information (=k-1) the distribution of which over the ability dimension is a function of the  item parameters.  For PCM items, the highest peaks in the function typically occur at disordered Andrich thresholds.  So if you do like to speak of discrimination of PCM items (I don't), the items with disordered parameter estimates are the most discriminating.