[Rasch] FW: c-parameter

Stephen Humphry stephen.humphry at uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 4 19:22:59 EST 2012

Margaret, you are right that there isn't such a divide but having said that, the 2PL is a degenerate case in which you cannot possibly, in principle, estimate person and item locations in a common unit. Also, the 2PL only allows items to affect discrimination whereas empirically, person factors can affect discrimination (Humphry, 2010) and so can other factors, such as rater characteristics.

If the rationale for using a Rasch model (other than the Poisson) is tenable, the magnitude of discrimination is inversely proportion to the magnitude of the unit. So unless there can somehow be measurement without a measurement unit, discrimination is pretty fundamental. See the first two references below for a detailed explanation of this, including an analysis of the overlap and distinctions between the 2PL and Rasch model with a discrimination parameter for item sets (but not individual items).

I disagree that when you are using the polytomous Rasch model / PCM that you are using a special case of the 2-parameter model. The discrimination at each threshold (1 conditional on 0 or 1, 2 conditional on 1 or 2, etc) is equal in the polytomous Rasch model. David Andrich showed this (implicitly at least) is necessary for sufficiency and for the justification for using the unweighted raw score in his original paper on the Polytomous Rasch model. Nothing has changed. I don't think this is "discrimination" as you're referring to it. It is readily shown that discrimination at each threshold is inversely proportional to the unit of measurement in the Polytmous RM as it is in the dichotomous model. However, I probably don't disagree much with the implications -- there is not a great divide between them in many respects.

Steve

Humphry, S. M. (2011). The role of the unit in physics and psychometrics. Measurement: Interdisciplinary Research and Perspectives, 9, 1-24.

Humphry, S. M. (2010). Modeling the Effects of Person Group Factors on Discrimination. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 70, 215-231

Humphry, S.M. & Andrich, D. (2008). Understanding the Unit in the Rasch Model. Journal of Applied Measurement, 9(3), 249-264.