[Rasch] different psychological realities of the same construct

Parisa Daftari Fard pdaftaryfard at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 00:44:07 EST 2012

Dear Friends,
There are different [maybe] rival or [maybe] complementing paradigms based on which one may construct, interpret, and value assessment as what we have in static assessment (which might get its value from behaviorsim [monoism] or cognitivism [dualism]) portfolio assessment (which does not rely on a single evidence when measuring students' competency or capacity or just performance) or what we have as dynamic assessment (which is believed to be rooted in the concept of "Unity as its philosophy") which believes in the emergent nature of one's capacity or ability or performance as the result of being situated in a society and interaction.
The literature abounds on discussing the pros and cons of the issue in assessment and I guess the most popular ones belong to Poehner, Bachman, McNamara, Lidz, Lantolf, and many others.
My question is that as scholars of language testing, would you expect to face different psychological realities of test takers' competency or capacity if you approach the construct from these perspectives? In other words, do you believe that there might be three different pictures [psychometrically speaking] of an ability (the same ability) if that ability is approached differently?
I should highly appreciate you if you kindly share your experience or comments with me.
BestParisa DaftarifardPhD Candidate of TEFLIAU (Science and Research Branch)