[Rasch] WINSTEP or FACETS for Speaking Rating scales

Stone, Gregory Gregory.Stone at UToledo.Edu
Tue Jun 26 04:23:16 EST 2012

Mohamad

That is a very common question.  The simplest answer is that if all you were interested in was investigating a traditional test or survey, wherein a person (student) interacted directly with an item, you would engage with the basic Rasch model.  WINSTEPS works primarily with the common Rasch model - rating scale, dichotomous, partial credit, etc.  The rule of thumb being that the measurement is direct - the person interacts with the item directly.

In your case, students are engaged in a speaking test, being rated by a judge.  In order to best capture this relationship, you will need to use the Multi-faceted Rasch Model (also known as the Many-Faceted Rasch Model), which will include (account for) the judges being used to assess your students.  WINSTEPS does not allow for the capturing of three facets - FACETS, does.  The difference does not relate to your use of a survey or a rating scale, but rather because of your use of a judge.  Both WINSTEPS and FACETS are excellent programs that I believe you will find invaluable, so I doubt you'll find either a problem purchase.  Hardly a week goes by that I don't use one or the other.  There are options in WINSTEPS not available in FACETS as well that you may find useful for general surveys and tests.

I'll be happy to assist you with FACETS should need help.