[Rasch] Negative pt-bis and fit of 1.0? How can this be?

Mark Moulton markhmoulton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 05:46:49 EST 2012

Stuart,

Belay my previous message (coffee hadn't kicked in yet).

You're right.  Variances -- p * (1 - p) at the extreme of p (1 or 0) will
be smaller, which should make the misfits bigger.

Could those cell probabilities p[ni] actually be close to 0.50?  This would
happen if the person measures tended to collapse to the center of the
scale, an artifact of randomness.

Mark