[Rasch] point-biserial reference

Mike Linacre rmt at rasch.org
Wed Mar 7 13:09:43 EST 2012

John:

Biserial correlation: Karl Pearson, '"On a New Method of Determining
Correlation ....", Biornetrika, Vol. VII, pp. 96-105, 1909

Point-biserial correlation: Richardson, M.W. & Stalnaker, J.M. (1933). "A
note on the use of bi-serial r in test research". Journal of General
Psychology, 8, 463-465.

Mike L.

At 3/7/2012, you wrote:
>Forgive the non-Rasch question but given the recent flurry of activity I
>couldn$B!G(Bt resist:
>
>I've been searching for a good reference/history/formula/definition of the
>terms "biserial correlation" and "point-biserial correlation" for quite a
>while. I am aware that the common item(binary)-total(continuous) Pearson's
>coefficient is often referred to as a point-biserial but I am more
>interested in a formal definition or historical reference to these terms
>(biserial and point-biserial). Does anyone have a suggestion for a seminal
>reference or good overview for these terms?
>
>Thanks much - John

Mike Linacre
Editor, Rasch Measurement Transactions
rmt at rasch.org www.rasch.org/rmt/ Latest RMT: 25:3 Winter 2011