[Rasch] point-biserial reference - was: Negative pt-bis and fit of 1.0? How can this be?

Svend Kreiner svkr at sund.ku.dk
Wed Mar 7 18:43:51 EST 2012

Here is one reference:

Glass, G.V. & Hopkins, K.D. (1995). /Statistical //Methods in Education
and Psychology/. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.

Concerning the point-biserial:

Recall, that the point-biserial coefficient in itself is not a fit
statistic for the Rasch model. If you want to use it for that purpose
you have to calculate the expected point-biserial coefficient under the
Rasch model /*in the current study population*/ (where it may be close
to zero as explained by David) and then test whether the observed
coefficient disagrees with the Rasch model. In this way, the test may
provide evidence that the observed coefficient is too strong or that it
is too low indicating in both cases that something is wrong and (I am
sure because I have tried it) will tell the same story as the infits,
outfits and the other item fit statistics that we use.

Cheers

Svend

--
*Svend Kreiner*