[Rasch] current issues of research in psychometrics?

Mike Linacre rmt at rasch.org
Thu May 3 12:17:20 EST 2012

Folks:

Andrew K. wrote: "the most viewed paper online was Cronbach's original 1951
paper on "Alpha".

Psychometricians are metrologists. Is it the fault of the metrologists when
their customers use antiquated measuring instruments? Imagine if the most
viewed paper in a metrology Journal was about "knotted ropes", who would we
blame? Surely not the manufacturers of laser measuring devices.

Perhaps it is a problem with Psychometrika that it tends to make modern
measurement methods appear so obscure. My summary of many Psychometrika
papers is: a good idea,  followed by many pages of obscure algebra,
finished up with a trivial example.

It is also an unfortunate accident of history that Lee Cronbach
misunderstood Georg Rasch when they met in 1955
www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt61c.htm . If Lee Cronbach had understood Georg Rasch's
methodology, we might now know the Rasch model as Cronbach's Beta model!

Food for thought ...

Mike L.

Mike Linacre
rmt at rasch.org www.rasch.org/rmt/ Latest RMT: 25:4 Spring 2012