[Rasch] FW: current issues of research in psychometrics?

Mark Moulton markhmoulton at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:35:38 EST 2012

Dear Imogene,

My knowledge of the literature is regrettably weak, but two journals I've
been looking through lately are:

* Journal of Machine Learning, http://jmlr.csail.mit.edu/
* The ACM SIGKDD Exploration Newsletter,
http://www.sigkdd.org/explorations/issue.php?issue=current

These journals come out of the data mining (knowledge discovery) field,
which has been growing aggressively over the past decade.  The data mining
community is dynamic, pragmatic, very bright, well-financed, and
uninhibited in exploring whatever fields and methods strikes its fancy --
from image recognition to medical diagnosis to predicting movie ratings to
classifying web pages.  While there is an impressive variety of
sophisticated models (which frankly intimidate me), a lot of it strikes me
as opportunistic.  I'm not sure there is a deep-level understanding of what
the goal of all this research is.  Rasch has a lot to offer here, I think.

Mark Moulton