[Rasch] FW: current issues of research in psychometrics?

Imogene Rothnie irothnie at usyd.edu.au
Fri May 4 13:41:27 EST 2012

Thanks Mark.

IMOGENE ROTHNIE | Lecturer (Assessment)
Office of Medical Education | Faculty of Medicine
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 108, Edward Ford Bdg  A27 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9036 6434  | F +61 2 9036 7580   | M +61 418 381 359
E imogene.rothnie at sydney.edu.au<mailto:imogene.rothnie at sydney.edu.au>  | W http://ome.med.usyd.edu.au<http://sydney.edu.au>
CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.

My knowledge of the literature is regrettably weak, but two journals I've been looking through lately are:

* Journal of Machine Learning, http://jmlr.csail.mit.edu/
* The ACM SIGKDD Exploration Newsletter, http://www.sigkdd.org/explorations/issue.php?issue=current

These journals come out of the data mining (knowledge discovery) field, which has been growing aggressively over the past decade.  The data mining community is dynamic, pragmatic, very bright, well-financed, and uninhibited in exploring whatever fields and methods strikes its fancy -- from image recognition to medical diagnosis to predicting movie ratings to classifying web pages.  While there is an impressive variety of sophisticated models (which frankly intimidate me), a lot of it strikes me as opportunistic.  I'm not sure there is a deep-level understanding of what the goal of all this research is.  Rasch has a lot to offer here, I think.

Mark Moulton

This is a really interesting discussion. Mark would you have some relevant examples of industry journals that publish around those kind of modelling exercises?
Thanks

IMOGENE ROTHNIE | Lecturer (Assessment)
Office of Medical Education | Faculty of Medicine
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 108, Edward Ford Bdg  A27 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9036 6434<tel:%2B61%202%209036%C2%A06434>  | F +61 2 9036 7580   | M +61 418 381 359<tel:%2B61%20418%20381%20359>