[Rasch] Rasch vc CFA

Iasonas Lamprianou liasonas at cytanet.com.cy
Fri Sep 28 02:42:10 EST 2012

Dear all,
I have spent many years using various Rasch models in order to investigate the unidimensionality of my scales, tests etc, and this list supported me reliably (thank you!). The Rasch model served me faithfully and produced a very descent number of publications over many years. I understand the strengths very well (and some limitations). However, the more I get to know CFA (confirmatory factor analysis), the more I am puzzled as to why and when one should prefer CFA over Rasch (and vice-versa). Please forgive my ignorance. I rest assured that somebody out there will bother to introduce me to some *definitive* (should I say, authoritarian) publications which compare the two and offer a comprehensive answer. Lets say that a reviewer asks me why I prefered one method over another to investigate the unidimensionality of my scale, what should I
say, what is the "correct" answer? (lets say that this may have happened already!)

Thank you for your time

Jason
Iasonas Lamprianou
Social and Political Science, University of Cyprus