[Rasch] A basic question about variance calculations

Imogene Rothnie irothnie at usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 20 10:32:42 EST 2013

Dear All
I've been calculating the variance explained after a Facets analysis using the information from table 5 and 7 output in Facets and the formulas provided in the Help menu. A basic question: when we calculate a % variance explained for a facet, say Judge, is the a % of the 'variance explained ' total ? Or is it variance explained /100% ? (ie 100% including the residual error). Hence 40% variance explained by Judges  when 50% variance explained by the measures would be 20% variance explained of total in the former...?
Thanks

IMOGENE ROTHNIE | Lecturer (Assessment)
Office of Medical Education | Faculty of Medicine
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 108, Edward Ford Bdg  A27 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9036 6434  | F +61 2 9036 7580   | M +61 418 381 359
E imogene.rothnie at sydney.edu.au<mailto:imogene.rothnie at sydney.edu.au>  | W http://ome.med.usyd.edu.au<http://sydney.edu.au>
CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.