[Rasch] A basic question about variance calculations

Mike Linacre mike at winsteps.com
Tue Aug 20 14:09:44 EST 2013

Thank you for your questions, Imogene.

In http://www.winsteps.com/facetman/index.htm?table5.htm

Explained variance % by facet 1 = (Explained variance %) * v1 /vsum

where
Explained variance % = Variance explained by Rasch measures of all
facets  / Total variance in the data
   = (Score Population S.D.^2 - Resid^2) / (Score Population S.D.^2)

v1/vsum = Rasch variance explained by facet 1 / Total Rasch variance
explained by all facets
  = (measure S.D. facet 1)^2 /  sum ( (measure S.D. facet 1)^2 +
(measure S.D. facet 2)^2 + ... )

so that, "Explained variance % by facet 1 " is the % of the total
variance in the data explained by facet 1.

OK?

Mike L.