[Rasch] Using Winsteps to compute scores

Tom Conner connert at msu.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:17:49 EST 2013

Do the entire set of items fit when analyzed together?  Do the items in
each subscale fit when analyzed separately?  Are the items in the
subscales all theoretically measuring the same concept?

tlc

On 2/4/13 5:05 AM, Juanito Talili wrote:
> We developed a 36-item self-administered survey instrument that will
> be used to measure the performance of "recollection facilitators".
> The instrument consists of five subscales with items that used a
> five-point ordered response options. For the scoring, it is tedious in
> the part of the user if the scores shall be computed by subscale.
> Thus, we plan to rasch analyze the entire scale (the 36 items
> together) and then produce the scores by respondents across items
> using Winsteps.  Then, from that scores, the user can easily compute
> the scores by subscale.  However, we afraid because Rasch analysis of
> the entire scale, instead of by subscale, might be wrong.  To check if
> we are not wrong, we do the two analyses as follows:
> Analysis 1: We Rasch analyze by subscale and then produce the scores
> by subscale.
> Analysis 2: We Rasch analyze the entire scale and then produce the
> scores by subscale.
>
> Then, for each subscale we will draw scatterplot of the scores
> generated from the two analysis.  Analysis 1 and analysis 2 are the
> same if the points in the scatterplot will form a straight line.  Are
> we correct?
>
> Any comments are welcome.
>
> Thank you.

Tom Conner
Professor Emeritus
Department of Sociology
Michigan State University
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"