[Rasch] Differential Item Functioning: Help Needed

Svend Kreiner svkr at sund.ku.dk
Wed Feb 6 22:28:36 EST 2013

Hard to say Mike, we need a little more information, e.g.:

What kind of DIF test are you using? Different test may have very different power and may therefore require different sample sizes.

How many items are you using in addition to the DIF item? The number of items has a strong effect on the error of person estimates and therefor also on the power of tests using these estimates (like, for instance, the DIF test in RUMM). Are you assuming that the number of items is infinite so that we have person estimates without error and bias.

What do you mean by "DIF at 80%"?

Best regards

Svend

PS it looks to me as if you need about 2 times 500 persons to disclose DIF equal to 0.25. Is that right? And if that is correct we can say good bye to small samples.