[Rasch] Differential Item Functioning: Help Needed

Mike Linacre rmt at rasch.org
Wed Feb 6 23:49:18 EST 2013

Svend and folks:

The DIF nomogram is a mathematical abstraction based on cross-plotting a
series of known Reference group sizes and computed Focal group sizes.
Each Focal group size is computed using an inverse Student's t-test with
known significance (.05), known DIF, equal group variances on the item
(based on an item with dichotomous p-value of 80%) and known Reference
group size. See "Unequal sample sizes, equal variance" on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student%27s_t-test#Unequal_sample_sizes.2C_equal_variance

Person error and other ambiguities are incorporated into the group
variances. These will be specific to each situation, so the nomogram is
based on (hopefully) reasonably general values of the variances.

According to the nomogram,  0.25 logits DIF between Reference and Focal
groups requires at least 2 times 1500 persons.
0.5 logits DIF between Reference and Focal groups requires at least 2
times 300 persons.

OK?

Mike L.