[Rasch] Differential Item Functioning: Help Needed

Mike Linacre rmt at rasch.org
Thu Feb 7 00:25:44 EST 2013

Svend and folks:

The nomogram is the plot of a standard Student's t-statistic with two
groups of different group sizes but equal variances. The plot would look
the same for comparing the heights of a group of boys and a group of
girls. How many boys and girls do we need if the differences in their
average heights (=DIF size) are xx centimeters? The exact algebra of the
t-test is at the Wikipedia reference. For the height plot, we would
choose a reasonable variance for the children's heights. In the same
way, the DIF nomogram is based on a (hopefully) reasonable variance for
the Reference and Focal groups.

OK?

Mike L.