[Rasch] neutral categories in scales

Bond, Trevor trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Sat Feb 23 23:57:52 EST 2013

Ian,
No need to recode to zero
Just changeValid codes to 1245
Ok?
Person reliability depends on items, and vice versa.
Collegially
TGB

Sent from 007's iPad

On 23/02/2013, at 8:48 AM, "Ian Blackman" <ian.blackman at flinders.edu.au<mailto:ian.blackman at flinders.edu.au>> wrote:

Hi all
Could I please have some advice.... I have some data with 5 categories with a middle category being neutral (rated as 3). I wish to remove that neutral category as i do not believe it is measuring a continuum of the latent trait being estimated. Is there any literature that supports this belief and secondly, would the reliability of the items be influenced if the neutral category was recoded to zero. Many thanks

Ian

Dr Ian Blackman
Flinders University
phone: +61 8 82013477