[Rasch] What is the relationship between number of items and the number of participants needed?

Agustin Tristan ici_kalt at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 04:33:02 EST 2013

Hi!
In the Institute we don't use thumb rules but we consider the following crteria:

a) The number of items is defined by: (1) the design error we accept for measurement and (2) the conditions imposed by the administration or the authorities who buy our tests concerning available time for the test (1 hour, 2 hours, 30 minutes). Depending on the standard time to solve an item (standard time may be obtained for each item or as a mean of the set of items) and the time indicated by the authorities we get the number of items and then we can get an estimation of the theoretical error of the test. If the theoretical error is less than say 5% or 0.25 logits we may accept the number of items otherwise we shall increase the number of items and ask the authorities to approve a longer test. This has implications in the number of items in the item bank and some economical aspects.

b) The number of persons needed for calibration is defined by: (1) the sample size needed to be representative of a focal group, (2) the number of persons needed to analyze a contingency table 2x2 in reference to CTT. For (1) the sample size, we are not related to Rasch analysis, but for representativeness, including age, gender, region, etc. this sample size may requiere 300, 500 or other figures. For (2) it is possible to calculate that we need 20 persons for an item close to 0 logits, 50 persons if our items are between -1.5 to 1-5 and 100 persons if our items are between -2 to +2 logits.

Hope this help.

regards
Agustin Tristan

INSTITUTO DE EVALUACION E INGENIERIA AVANZADA.
Ave. Cordillera Occidental No. 635
Colonia Lomas 4ª San Luis Potosí, San Luis Potosí.
C.P. 78216 MEXICO
(52) (444) 8 25 50 76 / (52) (444) 8 25 50 77 / (52) (444) 8 25 50 78
Página Web (en español): http://www.ieia.com.mx/
Web page (in English): http://www.ieesa-kalt.com/English/Frames_sp_pro.html