[Rasch] IRT based reliability

John johnbarnard at bigpond.com
Thu Jun 27 11:29:45 EST 2013

Mike is of course correct and I know that he tries to keep the response
short. As for question 1, we prefer to work with the concept "information"
in Rasch and IRT instead of reliability. Information can be used to
calculate the SEM for each item and person which is not a constant as in
CTT. This is a powerful concept and we can estimate a "reliability index"
from it if this is what you want.

As for question 2, in CTT the reliability index is used to compute a single
SEM and applied to all test takers to indicate the precision of the
measures. A CAT is a different ball game. Appropriate, well targeted items
are administered to each test taker and each test taker has a unique SEM
which increasingly decreases as items are administered that are increasingly
converging to the ability estimate of each individual. So in a CAT each test
taker gets a very precise measure. Reliability has to do with the test
whilst SEM is about the precision of the measures. In CAT the latter is
usually more important and of interest.

Kindly
John

Prof John J Barnard (D.Ed.;Ph.D.;Ed.D.)