[Rasch] How to simulate data with error

Mike Linacre mike at winsteps.com
Fri Jun 28 09:50:35 EST 2013

Stuart:

We could simulate dichotomous data this way with Excel:
1) assign item difficulties and person abilities
2) compute the expected value of the observation with the Rasch model = P
3) compute the square-root of model variance of the observation around
its expectation = sqrt(P*(1-P)) = S
4) multiply S by a unit-normal deviate = S*N(0,1) = D
5) half-round (P + D)  to 0 or 1 = X, the observation
6) repeat (2)-(5) for every observation

But simpler is to compare P with a uniform [0-1] random number, R.
X=1 if P>R, otherwise X=0.

Mike L.