[Rasch] [Semi-OT] How to simulate data with error

Rense Lange rense.lange at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 11:25:17 EST 2013

Stuart,

There is obviously right answer as the conditional SE increase away from the middle of the test. And, the rate of increase varies with the distribution of item difficulties and the number of items - as you probably well know. Given those two things, you can randomly select a measure (say, V) and then draw from a normal distribution N(V,SE).

But, somehow you will have to start with reasonable (and intended) V and SE, and those are non arbitrary as V and SE vary with the items' difficulty.

Rense