[Rasch] formative v. reflective measures in assessment research

Luis Carlos Orozco lcorovar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 01:21:52 EST 2013

Dear all, one of the problems that I see in most of the papers talking of
"cause" in the context we are talking, is the absence of time. For instance
all the figures in the article mentioned by Thomas: "The fallacy of..." the
arrows go in one direction, and one may think that the "something cause"
precedes  the items somebody is using to measure the "something cause", or
the other way around.  I think that in most of the cases the arrow should
go in both directions, if there is not an empirical evidence of the
precedence (time) of the cause.
In the article "Cause in Rasch models" there is a clear "intervention" that
precedes (time) the change observed in Rasch measures. This is what is
being done in RCT, mostly in Psychiatry and Rehabilitation.

Please forgive my english, I am quite good in spanish.

Luis C. Orozco V. MD MSc
Profesor Asociado
Escuela de Enfermería
Universidad Industrial de Santander