[Rasch] local independence

Tyner, Callie callietyner at PHHP.UFL.EDU
Thu Sep 5 04:10:25 EST 2013

Hello group,

What I hope is a simple question:

When assessing local independence by looking at the residual correlation matrix after conducting EFA, what exactly is your approach for looking at the residual correlation matrix?  Are we looking at the correlation of the residuals with themselves (I think this is called autocorrelation)? or the correlation of the residuals with one other?

Example, for variables 1, 2, 3, and 4, do you view the residual correlation matrix as:
     1       2      3      4
1   0.5
2   0.3   0.5
3   0.1   0.1   0.5
4   0.2   0.3   0.1   0.6
So that you view the correlations of the residuals with themselves?

OR do we view the residual correlation matrix as:
     1       2      3      4
2   0.3
3   0.1   0.1
4   0.2   0.3   0.1

So that we ignore the auto-correlations?

I hope this makes sense!  Thanks in advance for your insights.

Callie Tyner, M.S.
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Clinical and Health Psychology
University of Florida
callietyner at phhp.ufl.edu

NOTE: This communication may contain information that is legally protected from unauthorized disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return email and delete this message from your computer.