[Rasch] local independence

Mike Linacre mike at winsteps.com
Fri Sep 6 00:55:16 EST 2013

Thank you for the questions, Callie.

EFA residuals are not the same as Rasch residuals. EFA residuals are
"observed correlations - expected correlations"

Rasch residuals are "observed data values - expected data values". They
are correlated by pairs of items (variables) across persons (cases) in
Winsteps Table 23.99.

If there are large EFA residuals, then some possibilities are (1) more
factors need to be extracted, or (2) the data need to be transformed, or
(3) the data need to be pruned.

I cannot see a direct connection between EFA residuals and local
independence, perhaps someone else can ....

Mike L.