[Rasch] formative v. reflective measures in assessment research

Fidelman, Carolyn Carolyn.Fidelman at ed.gov
Sat Feb 1 05:08:31 EST 2014

Hi!

I was going over these posts and saw this one from October. I hope I'm not too late to contribute!  We were recently having this same discussion about formative versus reflective variables. Here is a good article (via my colleague Bill Tirre) that helps to explain it.

Freeze, Ronald and Raschke, Robyn L., "An Assessment of Formative and Reflective Constructs in IS Research" (2007). ECIS 2007 Proceedings. Paper 171.

The terms I use for these are "scale" variables (for reflective)  and "index" variables (for formative).  Some of you may use other terms. We would use Rasch or other IRT in creating the scale score, whereas we might more commonly use SEM to evaluate an index variable. Not sure you would be able to use Rasch to create an index score as, for one thing, the unidimensionality assumption is likely going to be violated in combining the diverse components of it.

Carolyn

Carolyn G. Fidelman, Ph.D.

NCES Sample Surveys | Longitudinal Studies Branch Rm 9035, 1990 K St. NW | 202-502-7312 | carolyn.fidelman at ed.gov<mailto:carolyn.fidelman at ed.gov>