[Rasch] When local dependence is part of the construct

Mike Linacre mike at winsteps.com
Sun Jun 29 21:04:25 EST 2014

Thank you for your question about local dependency, Purya.

If the local dependency is roughly homogeneous throughout the data, then
it reduces the stochastic background noise. Its effect is to spread the
logit estimates a little wider. This is unlikely to cause problems in a
practical situation. A parallel situation is an achievement test given
under high-stakes and low-stakes conditions. The high-stakes data tends
to be less noisy (more Guttman-like), so that the spread of the logit
estimates is wider for the high-stakes data than for the low-stakes data.

If the local dependency makes groups of items cluster together, then
each cluster of items can be summed into a super-item. These super-items
are analyzed with the partial-credit model. If you do this, plot the
ability estimates from the original dichotomous data against the
estimates from the PCM analysis to see the effect of the local
dependency on the ability estimates. Do tell us what you see in the
plot, Purya.

Mike L.

Mike Linacre, mike at winsteps.com or winsteps1234 at gmail.com
Winsteps: www.winsteps.com/winsteps.htm - current version 3.81.0 -
February 2014
Facets: www.winsteps.com/facets.htm - current version 3.71.4 - January 2014
Winsteps and Facets Tutorial PDFs at www.winsteps.com/tutorials.htm
Your comments and questions are welcomed.