[Rasch] Use of Rasch to a two-item scale

William Fisher william at livingcapitalmetrics.com
Wed Mar 12 09:49:19 EST 2014

It is not clear what you mean when you say each of the two items has ten
rating categories ranging from 0 to 5. Are there ten categories in total
(five for each item)? Or does each item have ten categories? If there are
five categories, how are they scored 0 to 5, which gives six categories? If
there are ten categories, how do you get them from the 0 to 5 levels?

No matter what the answers to these questions are, saying there are two
items does not really represent the situation. As Linacre (1993) shows, the
number of distinctions made by the combination of items and rating
categories determines the model error. If you have ten categories in each of
two items, then there are 18 total distinctions, not just the two that would
be expected from two dichotomous items. The modeled error expected from 18
distinctions is about 0.6, as shown in Linacre's (1993) nomograph. You
apparently are in a multifaceted context, which then brings the replications
of multiple raters and possibly across tasks, etc. to bear as well, reducing
the error yet more.

Then, as Linacre (1993) shows, the next consideration is the variation that
is being observed relative to that error. If all of those categories are
actually being used and are being used consistently to separate distinct
score groups, and if the sample measured varies quite a lot relative to the
error, then you will expect quite a high reliability. Your standard
deviation is over ten times larger than your error, so, depending on what
decision process you need to support, your overall measurement system would
seem to be functioning.

For another approach to setting up very short but meaningful scales, see
DeSalvo, Fisher, Tran, Bloser, Merrill, and Peabody (2006).

DeSalvo, K., Fisher, W. P. J., Tran, K., Bloser, N., Merrill, W., & Peabody,
J. W. (2006, March). Assessing measurement properties of two single-item
general health measures. Quality of Life Research, 15(2), 191-201.

Linacre, J. M. (1993). Rasch-based generalizability theory. Rasch
Measurement Transactions, 7(1), 283-284;
[http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt71h.htm].

Wm Fisher