[Rasch] multidimensional vs two unidimensional models

Margaret Wu wu at edmeasurement.com.au
Sat May 3 07:40:40 EST 2014

Hi Jason

Paul is precisely right. The correlation produced by ConQuest and TAM is
the latent correlation, while the correlation between estimated abilities
from two unidimensional runs is attenuated by measurement error (each
ability estimate has measurement error).

In much the same way as for classical test theory where you can
"disattenuate" to find the variance of the true scores (Var (T) =
reliability * Var(X)), you can disattenuate to find the latent correlation
from the correlation of estimated abilities:

Correlation of the latent construct = corr of estimated abilities /
sqrt(reliability 1 * reliability 2)

If you use the above formula, you should get from 0.39 to 0.75.

In the MML model, the population model has the variance (and mean) of the
abilities as parameters to estimate "directly" from the data, so the
variance is not attenuated. Similarly for two dimensional models, the
correlation between the two dimensions is also an explicit parameter in
the model, so it is directly estimated from the item response data.   The
estimation equations are derived with the correlation parameter as the
latent correlation.

I am not sure if attachments are allowed on the listserv. You can email me
(wu at edmeasurement.com.au) and I can send you an article on a comparison
between unidimensional models and multidimensional models. It may help you
decide whether you should use unidimensional models or multidimensional
models. Also I can provide some simulations in R to understand the
differences.

Margaret