[Rasch] PISA critique in TES - a competition? - from a distance

Stefan Cano stefanjcano at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:57:49 EST 2014

My own view:

There is critique and then there is criticism. The former is always
important; the latter more often "trivially true", but less helpful (and
more divisive) unless something better is proposed.

Like Thomas I am outside of education. And I share his concerns.

And so taking an "outsider's" viewpoint, it could be argued that the two
take home messages from this thread are: 1) the Rasch model isn't very
useful; and 2) those who use the Rasch model not only do not agree with each
other, they actually think each other is "wrong".

I would suggest that's probably not very helpful.