[Rasch] PISA critique in TES - a competition? - from a distance

John Barnard JohnBarnard at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 2 12:35:57 EST 2014

This is certainly not an easy task - trying to "satisfy" the measurement
world as well as the "world of politics" - and then we have reality! We
should not forget that the Rasch model is a mathematical model. It most
certainly advanced our understanding and analyses from the classical stages,
but it cannot perfectly solve all the measurement problems and issues we
encounter.

Let's start at the beginning - what are we trying to measure? A "simple"
concept such as mathematical ability can be defined in so many ways, e.g. a
crystallized definition related to a certain curriculum/syllabus or a fluid
definition based on lateral thinking and solution of "new" problems. It is
obvious that measures of these two constructs will differ. Is mathematical
ability defined the same in the different countries? What about the teaching
thereof - are all based on a formalist approach or are some intuitionist,
logicist or outcomes-based? Would this not make a difference? Are all at the
same level, e.g. a question to differentiate 2x + 3 will be a
straightforward simple question after a week of introductory calculus but a
mind boggler to a student who hasn't heard of calculus yet, although they
may be the same age and even the same year level but the teachers taught
topics in different order. (I know that they are trying to compare apples
with apples, but you get what I mean). I don't even want to get into issues
of translations of questions into different languages. Is the emphasis on
norms or what students can actually do? Over so many different countries we
may be pushing it when claiming apples are compared to apples - irrespective
of all the sophisticated DIFF analysis, MH, etc. But, even if we succeed,
politicians use the info to serve their purposes and promises. Some years
ago I heard one say that if he is elected, he will make sure that all
students perform above average ...

John