[Rasch] PISA critique in TES - a competition? - from a distance

Thomas Salzberger thomas.salzberger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 20:14:43 EST 2014

Dear Trevor,

Of course, I agree. As I said earlier, it is one of the Rasch world's great
virtues being able to discuss such issues, sometimes fiercely.
List serve, conferences and journals are the suitable arena. Holding up
fundamental principles comes at a price.
Avoiding such debates by trying to describe data no matter what the data
really look like is the easy way out. This is not an option we want to make
use of.
Hence discussions ...

I also believe Rasch will survive.

I am less convinced that some discussions going on in public media are
particularly helpful. There is the tension between politics and science.
And as a consequence there might be conflict of interest as well.
My point was we'd better not transfer the conflicts of the politics-science
sort to the Rasch world.
Yes, Rasch will survive, but mere survival is not what I think we should
accept. Rasch can do much better.

You also speak of resolution. Yes, this is what we should aim for. From a
distance, I often just cannot see any resolution. But maybe I simply have
to be more patient.

Best
Thomas

--