[Rasch] PISA critique in TES - a competition?

Steve Kramer skramer1958 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 29 10:51:04 EST 2014

There  is a lot of noise in the TES article, but one potentially legitimate
problem: Kreiner claims that the PISA questions violate the
Rasch uni-dimensionality assumption to such a degree that a Rasch model
can't be used, or at least can't be used with sufficient precision to rank
countries meaningfully.  He says he tested this by trying out legitimate
subsets of questions, and investigating whether the differing subsets
predicted rankings that were similar to one another-and they didn't.
Specifically, "Canada could have finished anywhere between second and 25th
and Japan between eighth and 40th.".
Ray Adams responded by saying that PISA accounts for this problem, noting,
"We have always shown things like range of possible ranks, standard errors
and so on. We've also reported the effects of item selection ."

In fact the 2012 country report on Japan looks nothing like "between 8th and
40th".  In 2012 Japan was ranked between 1st and 3rd in all subjects.
Kreiner may have been using data from a different year, but I can't imagine
that the RANGE of possible ranks shrank from 32 (40-8) down to 2 (3-1).  I
see only two possibilities:  either Kreiner's methodology was absolutely
lousy, or else the PISA "range of ranks" was computed ASSUMING
uni-dimensionality and did not adequately CHECK for uni-dimensionality.

Ray, do you have any technical articles you can reference explaining how
PISA either designed test items for uni-dimensionality or else checked that
uni-dimensionality was an adequate model for creating country ranks? Also,
are there any tech reports on how PISA determined each country's potential
range of ranks?   Finally, I'd appreciate any tech reports in which PISA
investigated how choosing differing subsets of items affected country
ranking, or else articles (not necessarily PISA) explaining why a procedure
like Kreiner's sub-setting is not a legitimate test.    I suspect that
Kreiner's claims are simply based on invalid methodology, but I'd like to be
able to verify that suspicion.

Steve Kramer
The 21st Century Partnership for STEM Education