[Rasch] PISA critique in TES - a competition?

Borsboom, Denny D.Borsboom at uva.nl
Mon Sep 29 17:48:57 EST 2014

Hi all

isn't it somewhat strange that one should buy a commercial book to assess the details on dimensionality assessment of one of the largest psychometric attacks on the tax payer's wallet in the history of mankind?

In general, the lack of publicy available data and documentation on the psychometric procedures followed is worrying. I'd suggest that if PISA wants to gain back some street credibility in scientific circles, they simply have to make public the data, analysis code, and decision procedures used to arrive at their results. By this I don't mean the woolly stuff that's in the tech reports I've seen, but simply datasets with analysis code that reproduce the analyses used to assess e.g. dimensionality and DIF.

As long as PISA cannot offer such documentation, we should give Kreiner the benefit of the doubt, simply because, in contrast to PISA's, his work is in fact sufficiently detailed to pass the minimum scientific tresholds of reproducibility and transparency.

Best
Denny