[Rasch] PISA critique in TES - a competition? - from a distance

Thomas Salzberger thomas.salzberger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:51:37 EST 2014

Agree, Trevor.

But it will help little to teach them, if they make a living from (or get
voted for) not-understanding. You can't awake someone who pretends to sleep.
These (sometimes apparently, sometimes really) simple minded politicians,
who always offer simple solutions, are so much more appealing to the voters.

Interestingly, there once was a chancellor (premier) in Austria in the
1980s, who almost always started his speeches with the opening statement
"Look, it is all very complicated." Ironically, he had the physical
appearance of being a bit simple-minded and he came from a province which
was and still is generally thought of as lagging behind (you know, every
country makes fun of a province ...). But, in fact, he was very aware of
problems being complicated. After only three years (in the 1980s this was
considered short term), he resigned. The punchline is, before becoming
chancellor, he had been minister of education for 12 years. In this era he
significantly improved the educational system in Austria - without PISA ;-)
. (Generally speaking, the 1970s were the golden years of modernisation in
Austria. Conservatives might disagree, though.)
Obviously, he was very aware of the complexity and managed to deal with it
properly.

Maybe we should not blame politicians (at least not in countries where
politicians still care about elections) but encourage them to acknowledge
complexity and reward those who do so.
A big ask, I know.
The trend points in the other direction. I desperately hope the next
general elections in Austria will prove me wrong.

Best
Thomas

Thomas.Salzberger at gmail.com
Thomas.Salzberger at wu.ac.at