[Rasch] One partial-credit item or multiple dichotomous items?

Stuart Luppescu slu at ccsr.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 3 08:42:11 EST 2015

Hello Fellow Raschies, I'm working on a test with some partial-credit
items. The coding is something like 0: Did not understand at all; 1:
Understood incompletely; 2: Understood completely.
I'm debating with the test developers about whether to make these
individual items scored {0, 1, 2} or two dichotomous items: item 1:
understood at least partially; item 2: understood completely. Is there
an advantage to using one or the other approach?
Also, if we go with the two-dichotomous-item approach, how should the
second item be scored if the student did not understand the question at
all? That is, does it make a difference if the two items are scored 0,
0; or 0, omitted?

TIA.
--
Stuart Luppescu