[Rasch] One partial-credit item or multiple dichotomous items?

David Andrich david.andrich at uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 3 12:13:26 EST 2015

Stuart. I think in the last question, you answered how to do it. There is a dependence and it is a logical, deterministic dependence, hence it should be scored as partial credit, not two independent responses. I am reminded, and the analogy is useful I think of an item in health outcomes of quality of life: item A - Can you walk X metres, Item B can you walk X+a metres. Clearly if you can walk X+a you can walk X - the dependence is logical and deterministic. Therefore, this is a single item with partial credit scoring, not two independent items.
Hope this helps
David

David Andrich, BSc MEd W.Aust., PhD Chic, FASSA
Chapple Professor david.andrich at uwa.edu.au
  Graduate School of Education
The University of Western Australia
M428, 35 Stirling Highway,
Crawley, Western Australia, 6009
AUSTRALIA
Telephone: +61 8 6488 1085;   Fax: +61 8 6488 1052
www.matildabayclub.net
http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/ppl/courses