[Rasch] Creating a Composite Measure with Two 9 pt. Scale Items

Kathleen Parkinson kparki2 at uic.edu
Fri Sep 25 03:46:58 AEST 2015

Hello-

I will appreciate anyone's advice on how to construct a composite measure
in Winsteps for 2 items I am working with.  Each item consists of a 9 point
scale with 4 labels and midpoints for beginning, progressing, increasing,
and advancing, language skills.  My approach was to simply sum the two item
measures, and then convert the scores to logit measures for my HLM
analysis. My main obstacle is that I am not sure how to set up a control
file for essentially an 18 point scale with no labels (how do I tell
Winsteps to read scores as double digits 01 - 18?  I will appreciate
anyone's advice on setting up a control file, and on any other approach
they might suggest to construct a composite measure using Winsteps.

Thanks for the advice,

Kathleen
--
Kathleen Parkinson