[Rasch] computing outfit mean-squares for each rating category in eRm (PCM)

Alexandra Dima alexadima at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 19:40:05 AEST 2016

Dear Trevor,

Thanks for your question, I am following the example from this eRm vignette:

http://media.metrik.de/uploads/incoming/pub/Literatur/R/eRmvig.pdf

On page 16, they show how to perform a likelihood ratio test between RSM and PCM. As in the example there, the test on my dataset is significant.

I understand this means that the distances between category thresholds are not equal – if I free up those parameters the data fits the model better. I know that’s a lot of free parameters (31 vs 10 in my case).

Should I consider other criteria when choosing between RSM and PCM?  Can you recommend a text where this is explained in more detail?

Regarding the outfit MSQ for rating categories, the authors of the paper I try to replicate follow this source:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.424.2811&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Both RSM and PCM are mentioned here, no advice on model choice (paper has a different focus).

The paper I replicate does not mention which model they used.

Many thanks,

Alex