[Rasch] Psychometrician Needed
lupp at uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 23 08:23:06 AEST 2016
We still have not found an adequate candidate. Please forward this to
anyone you know who would fit the requirements and is interested.
University of Chicago
Consortium on School Research
The Psychometrician will be responsible for leading Consortium work on the measurement of
phenomena related to student learning and school improvement, principally using annual surveys of
administrators, teachers, and students, but also administrative data (including grades, attendance, and
standardized test scores). S/he will lead efforts to create and validate new survey scales as well as
monitor the quality and performance of existing scales over time. Rasch analytic methods have been
used to create our current portfolio of survey measures and a thorough understanding of the use of
Rasch with survey data is required for this position, though experience with other methodologies is
welcomed. The Psychometrician will also provide psychometric and methodological expertise to other
research studies at the Consortium.
About the Consortium:
University of Chicago Consortium on School Research (the Consortium) is one of four units of the
Urban Education Institute (UEI). The Consortium conducts research of high technical quality that seeks
to identify what matters for school improvement and student success. The Consortium seeks to deepen
communication among researchers, policymakers, and practitioners to encourage the use of research
in policy action and improvement of practice. As part of this work, the Consortium has developed
surveys of teachers and students that measure critical aspects of schools as organizations. These
surveys are an important part of both Consortium research and individual school reports created by
UChicago Impact, another UEI unit. Chicago and schools across the country use UChicago Impact
reports (called 5Essentials survey reports) to support school improvement efforts.
● Creating and validating new survey scales as well as monitoring the quality and performance of
existing Rasch scales over time.
● Creating and validating other non-survey indicators of educational practices and progress for
school-level reporting and research studies.
● Assessing and monitoring the quality of survey measure data provided to schools by UChicago
● Providing psychometric and methodological expertise to other research studies at the
Consortium in a way that builds staff capacity, particularly in the area of Rasch analysis.
● Equating and scaling standardized assessments.
● Using SAS, R, or Stata to conduct multivariate statistical analyses, including multiple regression,
logistic regression, event-history, IRT, econometrics, and advanced features of HLM, on largescale
● Providing constructive, thoughtful feedback on colleagues' analyses, reports, and articles
● Contributing to and writing (1) Consortium reports and presentations geared toward a broad
audience (e.g., scholars, practitioners, policymakers), (2) journal articles for a scholarly
audience, and (3) grant proposals.
● Advanced degree in statistics, biostatistics, or measurement with 3 years of work experience
required, 5 years preferred; Doctorate in one of the above fields, preferred
● At least 3 years of experience in psychometrics and survey analysis in the area social science
● Ability to translate technical results into clear and meaningful findings for both researchers and
● Strong written/verbal communication skills
● Experience managing projects and people and working with teams
● Experience in urban education, education research, policy and practice preferred
● Training at the advanced level on Rasch analysis, IRT methods, test equating, and survey data
analysis required. Expertise in additional advanced statistical procedures and psychometric
● Knowledge and demonstrated use of multivariate statistics and statistical software (e.g., SAS,
R, Stata) required
● Ability to use or learn how to use SAS in a UNIX environment required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being
performed by people assigned to this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties and
responsibilities associated with it.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please apply at:
Requisition number: 101302
Chief Psychometrician (ret.)
UChicago Consortium on School Research
lupp at uchicago.edu
More information about the Rasch