[Rasch] Differences in alpha for Winsteps and R

Jack Stenner jstenner at lexile.com
Wed Jul 12 10:48:53 AEST 2017

My add is " appropriately lower"!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 5:27 PM, William Fisher <william at livingcapitalmetrics.com> wrote:
>
> See Linacre (1996). See section 19.83 in the Winsteps manual, where this statement appears:
>
> "In general, Test Reliability reported by Classical Test Theory (Cronbach Alpha, KR-20) is higher than Rasch Reliability."
>
> This happens in part because the true variance component of CTT reliability is estimated as a correlational function, whereas Rasch separation reliabilities estimate true variance by subtracting the mean square error variance from the total variance. When an instrument is off-target and uncertainty is inflated, Rasch separation reliability may be lower than Cronbach's alpha.
>
> For more info on the original conception, see Andrich (1982); see equation 17 for a contrast of Andrich's and Wright's separation indexes. Also see Wright and Masters (1982, pp. 92, 105-106, 111-113).
>
> Andrich, D. (1982, June). An index of person separation in Latent Trait Theory, the traditional KR-20 index, and the Guttman scale response pattern. Education Research and Perspectives, 9(1), 95-104 [http://www.rasch.org/erp7.htm].
>
> Linacre, J. M. (1996). True-score reliability or Rasch statistical validity? Rasch Measurement Transactions, 9(4), 455 [http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt94a.htm].
>
> Wright, B. D., & Masters, G. N. (1982). Rating scale analysis: Rasch measurement. Chicago, Illinois: MESA Press.
>

>> On July 11, 2017 at 11:00 AM Stuart Luppescu <lupp at uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>

>> Hello fellow Raschies, I'm writing reports on a number of assessments,
>> including Rasch and non-Rasch statistics. It's easier to calculate the
>> Cronbach's alpha using the psych package in R than to read it from the
>> Winsteps output so that's what I'm using for that. But I've noticed
>> that what psych::alpha() calculates is rather different from what
>> appears in Table 3 in Winsteps. For example, for 1 assessment, Winsteps
>> reports (for all forms together):
>> CRONBACH ALPHA (KR-20) PERSON RAW SCORE RELIABILITY = .86 (approximate
>> due to missing data)
>> but psych::alpha() gives 0.55 or 0.68 (depending on the form)
>>
>> Anyone know why there should be such a difference?
>>
>> TIA
>> --
>> Stuart Luppescu
>> Chief Psychometrician (ret.)
>> UChicago Consortium on School Research
>> http://consortium.uchicago.edu
>>
>> lupp at uchicago.edu

Find us online

MetaMetrics <https://www.metametricsinc.com/> | Lexile
<https://www.lexile.com/> | Quantile <https://www.quantiles.com/>

<https://www.facebook.com/The-Lexile-Framework-for-Reading-310900955612693/>
  <https://twitter.com/MetaMetrics_Inc>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/metametrics-inc->
<https://www.youtube.com/user/metametrics>
<https://www.pinterest.com/metametrics/>  <http://blog.lexile.com/>

MetaMetrics® is a privately held educational research organization that
develops scientific measures of achievement. We are best known for
developing The Lexile® Framework and The Quantile® Framework, unified
approaches for measurement of reading and math. We create and enhance
opportunities for individualized learning through our distinctive
partnerships worldwide.