[Rasch] item selection based on DIF

Edward Li edwardfli at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:58:46 AEDT 2017

Hi Alex,

DIF analyses could induce artificial DIF which is an artefact of some items displaying real DIF. For example, when you find some items favouring one group, some other items will inevitably favour the other group. David Andrich and Curt Hagquist have a few papers discussing this topic which could be quite helpful in your case. Please see the reference below.

Andrich, D., & Hagquist, C. (2012). Real and artificial differential item functioning. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics, 37(3).
Andrich,  D.,  &  Hagquist,  C.  (2015).  Real  and Artificial  Differential  Item  Functioning  in Polytomous  Items. Educational  and  Psychological  Measurement, 75(2).

Cheers,

Edward