[Rasch] Equating question

Stuart Luppescu lupp at uchicago.edu
Sat Aug 24 06:00:55 AEST 2019

On Fri, 2019-08-23 at 14:18 -0400, R. Trent Haines wrote:
> You might consider Virtual Equating.  Here's a brief article by Luppescu in
> RMT:  https://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt193a.htm

Trent beat me to it. I immediately thought of identifying items in each
of the tests that could be used as representing a certain level of
minimum competence or a pass score, and then using the difficulties to
align the two. You still need to consider what to do with the scaling,
but that is not such a big issue. (If you had more than one item you
can use as references, that would help this a lot.)

Greg Stone's point is indeed very important. If the two tests are not
intended to measure the same thing, then the question is not if you CAN
equate them but if you SHOULD equate them.
--
Stuart Luppescu
Chief Psychometrician (ret.)