[Rasch] FACETS design

Mike Linacre mike at winsteps.com
Fri Feb 15 12:40:44 AEDT 2019

Dear Ricardo and friends:

Disconnections in the data are always challenging. Fabio, Rense, and
Trevor have suggested options. Fundamentally, we are forced to make
assumptions about relationships. If we do not, then the software will
fail or impose arbitrary relationships.

If we know something about the raters, tasks, examinees, items, etc., we
may be able to use "virtual equating" (equating by content -
www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt193a.htm ) to resolve some of the relationships.
Otherwise, equating the mean ability/difficulty/leniency of the
disconnected groups may give a reasonable result. There is usually a
choice of which aspects of the design to equate or align, so we can try
the alternatives to see which produces the more reasonable results.
However, if the decisions based on these results are high-stakes, we may
need to do more data collection.

Mike L.

Mike Linacre, mike at winsteps.com or winsteps1234 at gmail.com
Winsteps 4.3.4 and Facets 3.81.2 - www.winsteps.com