[Rasch] The future of education? Call for Papers: AAAI 2021 - Virtual Workshop on AI Education

Mike Linacre mike at winsteps.com
Fri Oct 30 18:33:15 AEDT 2020

Folks:

This virtual workshop -
https://sites.google.com/view/tipce-2021/call-for-papers - is a place to
exhibit our place in the new world of online education. Workshop topics
particularly relevant to us are:

Knowledge Tracing (Response Prediction & Correctness Prediction)
Question Difficulty Prediction
Score Prediction

The paper submission deadline is November 9, 2020.

This workshop is organized by Riiid! - https://www.riiid.co/en/main -
who claim to "lead the paradigm shift in the education market with AI
technology." They are also sponsoring a response-prediction competition
on Kaggle, which has a training dataset of almost 100 million CAT-style
MCQ responses.

/Here's a speculation: /

My analysis of Riiid!'s Kaggle data indicates that around 400 of their
on-line teach-and-test learning modules corresponds to one year of
school instruction.

There are around 180 days in the school year, and around 5 subject areas
to study. So, a student who does 12 online learning modules every school
day will experience the same amount of instruction in a school year as
in a conventional school.

There are about 6 hours in the school day, so that is 2 modules an hour.
That looks possible to do, but it takes a lot of (self-)discipline to
accomplish.

Is this the future of education?